Monday 31 March 2014

Assassination and Usurpation Attempts

My fellow Time Lords, I have no doubt that you have by now heard the grave news about the assassination attempt on the Lord President; and the unfortunate demise of Lord Oolon Sputnik's previous incarnation. The assassin, Abbot, is still at large but I am told a search and capture party is hunting this dangerous traitor down.

I've known Lord Oolon for many years now - House Arcalian under his wise guidance was instrumental in my birth; given that the Looms of New Gallifrey are under the care of the Arcalians and I am the first child of the Looms here in SL space. Only a few days prior to his brave efforts to thwart the assassination attempt on the Lord President (by leaping in front of a bullet for him, no less!) I had been negotiating the merger of the New Gallifrey and Olyesti factions of the Arcalian Chapter.

This negotiation went very smoothly - Lord Oolon is wise enough to see the advantages of a smooth merger that I presented. We both want only the best for our great Houses. To see his passing so soon after he had declared the Olyesti Arcalian Lord Vale Chronotis as the new Lord Chancellor of a united Arcalian Chapter was there a deep blow.

Thankfully Lord Oolon is recovering well from his regeneration. I wish his new incarnation all the best and hope that he will continue to help guide our great House long into the future.

Moving on, I have more unfortunate news to discuss. I have long been a loyal member of the New Gallifrey Chapter of House Arcalian - in fact, I have not missed a meeting in years and have attempted to share the fruits of my own researches with other Arcalians in the Chapter for many years also. I came to Olyesti in the hope of fostering a peaceful reunion of the two Chapters. In this effort I have been successful - we now have a united House Arcalian for the first time since the Time War split us.

Apparently this makes me a traitor of sorts to some former members of the New Gallifrey Chapter. By entering Olyesti and brokering a successful merger, I have apparently "gone native" amongst the "other" group. I say apparently because the only person to voice their dissent is Lord Maltheus Canis; who just happens to be vying for the position of Junior Cardinal in the reunited Chapter.

You may recall that Junior Chancellor is the role bestowed upon me by Lord Vale in recognition of my efforts in reuniting the Chapter, as well as my scientific endeavours (all of which have been shared with the New Gallifrey Chapter and which were also shared with the Olyesti Chapter through my efforts to broker a merger).

I am deeply saddened by the actions of Maltheus in this matter. I have never sought office, nor title, simply for the sake of it. I accepted the position of Junior Chancellor because it would help me to finalise the merger and also to successfully mesh both Houses together. Being berated into stepping down because a minor member of the New Gallifrey chapter thinks I'm not enough of a New Gallifreyan to warrant the position is, quite frankly, insulting.

I am, and have always been, of New Gallifrey. I was born on New Gallifrey, I grew up on New Gallifrey, I have fought and died for New Gallifrey. The vast majority of New Gallifreyan Arcalians cannot say the same. I will not stand for anyone claiming I am not "New Gallifreyan enough" to warrant the Junior Cardinal position in our restored Chapter.

This blatant attempt at a power grab by Maltheus smacks of nothing more than callous opportunism. I took the initiative to come to Olyesti and broker a treaty. I took the initiative to go to Lord Chancellor Oolon and put that treaty to him. I put the effort in to show the Olyesti chapter that they had nothing to fear from joining with the New Gallifreyans. Now I'm being asked to step aside to satisfy the ego of someone who has, quite simply, done nothing.

I will not stand by and watch what I've built be torn apart because one man wants a nice, shiny title. To stop his whining at last night's meeting to finalise the terms of the merger of our houses, I agreed to step down and allow a vote on who will be our new Junior Cardinal. I will be standing for the position. As a very long time member of the New Gallifreyan chapter, I am entitled to do this.

I dare say I've done more to warrant the job than anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment